Monday, February 9, 2009

If You Had to Pick. . .

Before I pick, I have to praise my sons. Above is a picture of Brad and Sam helping with drywalling a ceiling. Probably one of modern man's terrible jobs. Think about it, how many old men do you see drywalling? It is physical, hard work. All of the boys did yeoman's work in the studio addition.

But the question before us Un-Derrs and Derrs, what six musician's library of work could you listen to for the rest of your life? Only these six to spend time with. Only these six to revel and to lament with. I may be a bit stuffy, but who would you spend money, plenty of money, to see live.

My Six?

James Taylor--Addictions aside, name a singer/songwriter that exemplifies the genre better? And continues to get better with time. Try this and this and this to decide.

Pat Metheney--Jazz from the past and into the future.

The Beatles--Brad reacquainted me with the Fab Four this last summer on a trip to Lampyradaie Vineyards.

Chicago--Try this for the coolest make-out song from the '70's. But that doesn't define this group.

Nanci Griffith--Old and new great music that touches the soul.

Jackson Browne--The voice of the 70's on SoCal? You know, those songs that are a part of you before you know their names.

I know there are many more, The Eagles, Sting, Carole King, Cat Stevens, Rolling Stones, John Prine, Tony Bennett, Frank, Ella, Amy Grant, David Grisman, many more that I have forgotten; but this is just a few.

6 comments:

Maureen said...

Too too many (and you already stole 3 of mine!)

I'll go with....

James Taylor
The Eagles
Nanci Griffith (who was my pick FIRST)
Dan Fogelberg/Cat Stevens/Jackson Browne (it's a tie :)
Mercy Me
Norah Jones

Brad Garver said...

The Beatles
Radiohead
Led Zeppelin
Five Iron Frenzy
Jack Johnson
John Mayer

vinesearch said...

Wilco
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
REM
Cake
Grateful Dead
Now in ten years from now if the bands I listen to now continue to add to their catalogues this would look different.

Mike said...

Really hard since I tend to listen to more of the newer bands than the old (Theory of a Deadman, Shinedown, Nickelback, Saving Abel, etc.), but to give me some variety:

Brooks and Dunn (country with just enough rockabilly)

Stevie Ray Vaughan (Great blues rock. Couldn't Stand The Weather. Fantastic!)

Pink Floyd (for those mellow-out times)

AC/DC (for pure head bangin’ rock and roll, you can’t beat them. I mean, Who Made Who? Come on!)

Kansas (because I know just about every word to every song. Great Classical Rock)

And since you didn’t limited us to ONLY their previously produced music (call it cheating, I don’t care)

Breaking Benjamin (I’ve liked everything of theirs so far, so the future should be great, too).

Maureen said...

I LOVE 'Breaking Benjamin' (and Nickleback)

and Vinesearch...I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is NOT Ashleys list ?

vinesearch said...

That would be John's list, and I am speaking for myself. Ashley, if she doesn't answer it herself would have Cake on there, but YAZ would be at the top of the list. If you get a chance the newer bands I'm listening to are My Morning Jacket, MGMT, Band Of Horses, Modest Mouse ( who actually are playing in Visalia on Feb. 23rd amazing)Conner Oberst ( lead singer for Bright Eyes) another Visalia connection. His guitarist is from Visalia, very cool.