Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Dad Falling Asleep at 8 PM and Email


I have to preface this story with a bit of information about school email addresses in California.  Most teachers, at least the ones I know, have a school email address that is their first initial, last name, @, name of the town or school they teach at, ., k12, ., ca, ., us.  So it looks something like jsmith@jamestown.k12.ca.us.  Those of you that know me can figure out mine easily.  Thus began a most strange journey in the Garver household.

A few nights ago, after 8 PM, Maureen and Sam were in the front bedroom playing with the kittens.  Dad was reading Newsweek in the living room, and Annie was in the dining room "doing" homework.  If you know our house, you know that really means we were all virtually in the same room.  Annie belts out, "Dad, I need to email you some work that I need printed.  What is your email address?"

Dad responded, "sgarver@escondido."  

Maureen and Sam immediately perked their ears.

Annie then asked, "How do you spell Escondido?"

Dad dutifully responded, "E-S-C-O-. . ."

Maureen and Sam looked at each other and said, "Do you mean Exeter?"

Thus ended another rousing night at Casa Garver.  I'm sure that revisionest variations of this story will be told, but it reminds me that after 8, I'm already gone as the Eagles sang.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

The funniest part was the pause before Annie asked Dad to spell Escondido.....Sam and I were looking at each other with that....'what did he just say?' kind of expression. Then Annie asks how to spell it and we started cracking up....and then Steve goes on to actually spell it out. I'm sure we were both thinking "should we help them or wait for them to figure it out?"

....and I think it's time for Dad to go to bed.

vinesearch said...

That kinda sounds like Steve, I think I've seen him like that. Mo, I'm sure I could ask Ashley, but how do you add pictures and dialogue like you do to this blog? That way I could add to this instead of sending out e-mail pictures and the sort.
Thanks,

....john

Maureen said...

Sign in and then up at the top right click on the 'new post' icon. Write your post and publish it from there. The little photo icon is up above the post box (next to the ABC spell-check icon) and you just click on that one to add photos.

Let me know if you have any trouble, my explanations may need work :)